Family Dinners



I know they are important.

I know the decrease the likelihood of substance abuse, early sexual experiences, and other delinquencies. I know they create better communication and let my children understand they are a valued part of our family.....

....but it is so much work!

I try to cook healthy, complete meals (like my mother taught me to do).
I try to set a calm and beautiful atmosphere (like my Grossmama taught me to do).....

....but it is so much work.

I find that every night during our silent prayer, I ask for kindness, generosity,

and please, oh please,

just one person talking at a time,
no grotesque body noises,
give me something that resembles manners,
please, no spitting
and maybe even 5 minutes where everyone stays in their seats?

oh, it is so much work!

2 comments:

meg duerksen said...

that is the truth.

but it has to be worth it right?
it will be a memory they will keep forever...hopefully good and important...not torturing.

our are the same way...

kristin said...

i
hear
you


and i can testify to it all...thank you for sharing them with me.