Afterschool musings

One of the joys in my life is walking to meet the kids afterschool. There have been numerous times I have wanted to take a picture, but not caught the beauty adequately. There is a hub of school-aged kids in our neighborhood who walk together....kids I may not have otherwise known, but we are connected through this ritual.
The sun is usually shining, there is laughter,
talking,
running,
skipping,
biking,
rollar skating,
scootering,
dogs,
shouting,
and fun.

We stop to notice flowers or rocks or other things along the way.

Today Hector came running past me and shouted,"Wahooooooooo, I'm freeeeeeeeeeee from the cold!"

And then the kids started talking about the weather, which turned to tornados, when the conversation went like this....

Casey: Did you know that snake spirits protect you from tornado spirits?
Abby: My mother does not like snakes!
Casey: You can find the snake spirits in the Sand Creek
Hector: I like spirits
Casey: You believe in spirits?
Andy: What kind of spirits?
Hector: Yeah, like the holy spirit
Casey: THAT'S MY FAVORITE ONE!

There are any number of kids hanging out at our house afterschool....something I learned from my Mother. I always try to keep a good supply of popcorn and popcicles ready.

I am blessed to have these neighborhood children in my life. And grateful that my kids have the opportunity for exploration and laughter in their afterschool time.

10 comments:

Claire said...

THIS is what I'm looking for in a neighborhood as we look for a house to buy... lots of friends for Ben and being able to walk to/from school. My hopes are high in this department.

(P.S.-- I noticed you're eating my cabin fever bars... addictive tasty little suckers, aren't they?? Just imagine how good they'd taste with tea and sitting on the dock up north while star gazing on a crisp evening?)

kclblogs said...

sounds just about perfect!

Jen said...

P.S. I am sandwiched between two houses for sale, so if anyone is in the mood for popcorn, popcicles, sunshine, and some good laughs, come be my neighbor!

Beverly said...

I remember reading an article about walking schoolbuses. That's what you are!

Rachel said...

Oh Jen, it's so good to get a peek at your lives: I can so picture it!

Bonita said...

Yes! It sounds so wonderful. I wish I could join in the fun.

kclblogs said...

um, i want claire's cabin fever bars. can't find them on the recipe blog -- are they there?

kristin said...

hey, before reading this i got to experience popsicles and a yard full of kids first hand.

it's funny how less than a block away is a completely different neighborhood.


i WILL come record this afterschool life on camera some day.

AnnaMarie said...

What great memories these days will make!

Sher said...

Was just reading the Prairie Daze entry on supper night.

I remember KinderMusic Kasserole with y’all. How special that was. Nene, Lydia & Andy were Evan’s first friends. Poor Nene wasn’t quite sure what to think of goofy ol’ Harrison, but once she figured out Harrison was just loud and not going to eat her things were good. Remember when Jerry walked through our front door and it slammed shut - breaking into ga-zillions of little pieces? We could only laugh- how weird.

That is absolutely wonderful that your 2 families have embraced “supper night” for ten years. Ten years later there are ten of you . . . actually, you’re just one big family. Makes me smile.

So, you're eating popsicles on the porch in early March? We just had 5 inches of snow in MN on March 31st! Heavy wet stuff that was perfect for forts!

Love,
Sher